Under this scheme loans are disbursed for breeding of pigs and for meat business.
Apart from providing meat, it is also a source of bristles and manure. Pig farming provides employment opportunities to seasonally employed rural farmers and supplementary income to improve their living standards.
|Items||Unit||Cost (in Rs.)||Repayment period (in yrs.)|
|Pig Breeding farm||20 Female pigs + 4 Pigs||7,00,000/-||5 (grace period 1 year)|
|Pig rearing and Fattening||3 female pigs + 1 pig||1,00,000/-||-do-|
|Pig fattening||10 Piglets||80,000/-||-do-|
|Pig retail outlet||10,00,000/-||-do-|
The advantages of the pig farming are :
- The pig has got highest feed conversion efficiency i.e. they produce more live weight gain from a given weight of feed than any other class of meat producing animals except broilers.
- The pig can utilise wide variety of feed stuffs viz. grains, forages, damaged feeds and garbage and convert them into valuable nutritious meat. However, feeding of damaged grains, garbage and other unbalanced rations may result in lower feed efficiency.
- They are prolific with shorter generation interval. A sow can be bred as early as 8-9 months of age and can farrow twice in a year. They produce 6-12 piglets in each farrowing.
- Pig farming requires small investment on buildings and equipments
- Pigs are known for their meat yield, which in terms of dressing percentage ranges from 65 - 80 in comparison to other livestock species whose dressing yields may not exceed 65%.
- Pork is most nutritious with high fat and low water content and has got better energy value than that of other meats. It is rich in vitamins like thiamin, Niacin and riboflavin.
- Pigs manure is widely used as fertilizer for agriculture farms and fish ponds. Pigs store fat rapidly for which there is an increasing demand from poultry feed, soap, paints and other chemical industries.
- Pig farming provides quick returns since the marketable weight of fatteners can be achieved with in a period of 6-8 months. There is good demand from domestic as well as export market for pig products such as pork, bacon, ham, sausages, lard etc.
The following conditions will imply for the said scheme:
- Only pigs having 3-4 month age will be purchased.
- Loanee will have to ensure the proper water supply.
- Under this scheme the borrower will ensure the proper vaccination. removal of tics etc with HIS efforts.
- The bank will make it ensure that there will be open space that would be atleast 4 times bigger than the covered space.
- For establishing such unit , the collective loan will be granted for the purchase of 20 pigs.
- The bank will ensure the proper utilization of loan, because only the first time incurred expenditures are being turned in to capital.The borrower will have to give in writing that he shall keep this occupation going on for coming 5 years. Otherwise the loan shall be taken back.
- Repayment of loan shall be monthly/quarterly/6 monthly.
- Information about subsidy shall be sought from the concerned department.